Short Review: Religulous

This isn't really a review of the movie, just my experience seeing it.

To follow up on my previous posting about Religulous, let me just say, "Don't miss it in the theaters." Laughing with the crowd makes it so much funnier. And laughing, we all did. There was rarely a minute of the movie that went by without some laughter. At times, it was so loud and intense that I missed a couple of laugh lines that followed. I will see this movie again, but will wait for it on HBO so that I can hear it all.

I was surprised in a couple of ways. First, it was showing at a nearby suburban Atlanta theater. I guess I only expected it at the art theaters, but there it was in red meat Republican Cobb County, Georgia. Secondly, it was screened at a large multiplex in a fairly large auditorium, which was more than half full. So much for my stereotypes of my neighbors. Of course, we are all going to Hell for seeing it...you just know it.

Oh, one other thing. If you are some sort of religious fundamentalist, you may not like it. Plus, you'll go to hell too just by not heeding my advice.

Comments

  1. I'm very interested in seeing it, however Bill Mayer really pisses me off sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't always find him funny, but he usually cuts through the BS of most things. This movie was both funny and either reaffirms one's unbelief or at least gives one pause for thought.

    I loosely cling to progressive protestant Christianity, but I respect other people's right to hold other views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely believe in the Trinity, loosly mixed with a bit of Presbyterian and good old traditional Catholic guilt. I don't go to church anymore, but I still pray everyday. God probably gets a little tired of hearing from me, as my "prayers" tend to be just string of consciousness.
    I'm not above at laughing at man's take on religion; in fact I like to think that God would want us to laugh at how complicated we tend to make things. We should just keep the Golden Rule in mind; as it usually applies.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to high-jack your comments section. I just tend to blah-blah along sometimes.
    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. not playing in athens, damnit. what gives?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree kkryno. If God didn't mean for us to laugh, we wouldn't have a sense of humor. Of course, I know folks who don't, so I am certain they are of Satan. ;-)

    Shannon, that is a bummer about Athens, especially when it is where I am considering retiring in a few more years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Campbell's Soup Takes Stand Against Hate

Little Town Beseeches Obama’s Health Chief