Newspapers

I think it is mostly old coots like me who still like to read newspapers (and I do mean ones printed on paper). Mind you that I have not subscribed to a newspaper since I moved back to Georgia in 2000. Life is so frantic here compared to how it used to be in South Carolina, I really haven't found a time to read one on a regular basis.

Yet every time I visit with friends who still subscribe to one, I am always grabbing it for a quick read. On the rare times when I go to lunch alone at work, I usually grab a paper to read so I won't feel so lonely at lunch.

So the Atlanta Journal-Constitution has a low introductory rate for three months, and I took it. My subscription should start in a couple of days. I will see if during this three month period, I really take time to read the paper. If not, it didn't cost much and I can cancel it. Yes, I will recycle or reuse.

In the back of my mind, there is one bad thought nagging me that I might need the paper to check the classified ads next year for a job. I'm not looking at all, but news of layoffs somewhere most every day makes me nervous. In this economy, I don't know many jobs that are bulletproof. Do you?

Comments

  1. Nope - I don't know of many bullet proof jobs. We're going to be cutting staff next year, I'm sure. We're dependent on home building so you can guess the rest.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I know what you mean. No sector of the economy seems to have much wiggle room except maybe healthcare.

    I got my first newspaper today. My lunch buddy was not at work today, so I took my paper to lunch. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Campbell's Soup Takes Stand Against Hate

Little Town Beseeches Obama’s Health Chief