In Memory of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.


Today, let us pause to remember the legacy of Dr. King: A legacy of non-violence, love, and struggle. A legacy that has brought us to another victory on the road to end racism and discrimination with the inauguration of President Obama on Tuesday. A legacy we all wish the rest of the world would emulate.

In this world of strife, I believe that injustice and conflict can best be overcome by non-violence and patient struggle instead of violence, if the world would but really listen to Dr. King's words.

I look at the suicide bombers in the Middle East and know that few people in other parts of the world will ever support their cause because most people want to live in peace. What they are doing does not represent a value system with which most of the world agrees. The lessons and victories of Dr. King and Gandhi are clear, but they do not see.
"At the center of non-violence stands the principle of love." [Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.]
Add to Mixx!

Comments

  1. I was only ten years old when MLK was killed, but I remember it mainly because my mother cried when she heard the news, and she cried again a few weeks later when RFK was killed. 1968 was one of the most turbulent years in my lifetime's memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in college in 1968. It was certainly one of the more eventful years of my life. I had been a junior in high school when JFK was assassinated in 1963, so the memory of his death was still strong with me when Dr. King and RFK were assassinated in 1968. Thousands of people were dying in a needless war in Vietnam too. I felt virtually shell-shocked. Then the Chicago convention, and Mayor Daley's fascist tactics. It was an awful time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Campbell's Soup Takes Stand Against Hate

Little Town Beseeches Obama’s Health Chief