Say Goodbye

In our celebrations of a new year and in the minds of many, a new decade, it is time to take stock of all the things that we said goodbye to over the past ten years or so. Some of these things haven't disappeared entirely, but they will soon enough. So, say goodbye to:

  • Mouse pads
  • Road maps
  • VCRs, videotape cameras, and videotapes
  • Film cameras and film
  • Cassette players and tapes
  • Manual car windows
  • Manual car locks
  • Correct spelling
  • Personal letters
  • Desktop computers
  • Wired Internet connections
  • Dial-up Internet connection
  • AOL
  • Wired telephones
  • CRT televisions
  • Movie rental late fees
  • Low-interest credit cards
  • Paper checks
  • Receptionists
  • Newspapers
I do bemoan losing a few of these things. Most of us hate calling companies and being answered by a machine instead of a receptionist. I hate losing real paper newspapers, although I admit I haven't often subscribed in the past few years. I don't miss low-interest credit cards because high-interest ones have forced me to budget my money better and pay off the entire balance each month. Mostly, I hate that we are losing correct spelling as text messages have made a mockery out of our language. Can we really laugh anymore when just an LOL will do?

Please add things to this list. I know my own list is far from complete. Oh, and happy new year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Town Beseeches Obama’s Health Chief

Campbell's Soup Takes Stand Against Hate