Intuition and Refrigerators


Typically in my life when I've paid attention to my intuition, things have come out right. When I have ignored it, sometimes there was hell to pay. I made a mistake and believe I've made the right decision now. Things didn't feel right yesterday...now they do.

What I am going on about is the job in Birmingham. After three days on the job at the job site in Birmingham, I realized that I violated my intuition rule. I had second thoughts about the job from the start. Ultimately, it fell on me to make the right decision.

I only want a job where I can be successful...not just a pay check. This job was not it. I only made the final decision this afternoon after lots of thought and prayer. The learning curve was too steep (in a complex industry in which I had no prior experience), the deadlines were too fast (my first deliverables were to be in two more weeks), and the development process was one to which I was not accustomed. Add to this, working a long distance from home, and you get the idea.

I've talked on the phone twice with the staffing company representative, and I think he appreciates my stark honesty about this job. It has been really easy working with him through this whole process, and I commend him. He was not angry or disappointed. I'm sure in his line of work, much worse has happened. There may be a follow-up call or two with some of the client company folks on Sunday or Monday, but I am clear this job is not for me.

My bank account hates my decision, but now I can be at peace. Maybe I can sleep better now.

By the way, I returned home Friday night to find my refrigerator wasn't working. I bought this Maytag POS refrigerator about seven years ago. I bought their best GE extended warranty at the time. The refrigerator was a lemon, but only manifested itself about two years after I bought it. To make a long story short, the warranty paid for itself in service calls and repairs many times over. GE did not offer a warranty extension, and I've paid twice out of pocket for $200-$300 repairs since it expired.

The ice machine has not been working for about two months. So when I got home last night and it was no longer cooling either (lots of food to toss), I decided to buy a new one rather than throw good money after bad for more repairs. I found a refrigerator today at a good price and it should be delivered in the next few days. I have my trusty ice chest to use in the meantime.

I did not buy a Maytag again. Duh!! I bought a Frigidaire at Lowe's, where I had bought the Maytag originally. I was told that they no longer sell Maytags because of "lemon" issues and they no longer sell GE warranties. I got their best Lowe's warranty and I have the option to extend it should I so want.

My bank account is not in love with the new refrigerator idea, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Add to Mixx!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Town Beseeches Obama’s Health Chief

Campbell's Soup Takes Stand Against Hate