Revolutionary Road


Sam Mendes' Revolutionary Road is about how dreams for a good life are often thrust aside for the illusionary security of the moment and with unknown and unexpected consequences. Set in post-WWII America, the film is about a young woman struggling with dreams to get out of a stiffling suburban life she can no longer stand. Kate Winslet plays April Wheeler, a former amateur actress who now finds herself the mother of two boys and dreams of a fresh start for herself as a secretary in post-war Paris and for her husband, Frank, played by Leonardo DiCaprio, to get out of the rat race and "find himself." April convinces Frank and plans are made.

All goes according to plan until two unexpected events change everything, and then their life becomes a runaway train. If I reveal more, I would have to give a spoiler alert, and this review does not contain spoilers. Kate Winslet gives an excellent performance, for which she won a Golden Globe. However, I have to agree with her Best Female Actor Oscar nomination for The Reader instead. Having seen both films, I think The Reader is the better of her two performances.

This is a good and entertaining film. It will make you think and evaluate your own life, even if doing so may be painful. It certainly was for April and Frank.


Add to Mixx!

Comments

  1. I can't view the video, as I have slow-ass dialup and I don't feel like waiting a half hour for it to download, but I think I'd prefer to see The Reader, as I've read an enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both very good, but if forced to chose between the two, The Reader is the best choice. Even though I only wrote a short review on the film, it would be my choice Best Motion Picture Oscar. I think Slumdog Millionaire is the popular one for that award, however, and it is an incredible movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it going to make me cry? It's going to make me take a look at my life and wonder what if and cry, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you dreamed of living in Paris years ago, you might cry. I know I cried because if I were living in Paris I would have access to free medical care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to see Revolutionary Road, however I did see 'The Reader' and I thought her performance was stunning. sI think Kate is a very talented young lady and deserves the accolades she currently seems to be getting. sDid you see 'Doubt'? sI thought that was a fabulous film as well and really highlighted some of the problems in the Catholic church. s

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doubt was very good. I would like to have seen the stage play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Campbell's Soup Takes Stand Against Hate

Little Town Beseeches Obama’s Health Chief