A Film Buff's Reflections on the Golden Globes


If you follow my blog with any degree of regularity, you know that I am a movie fan nut. I have been so since I was a child, but now I am choosier about which movies I go to the theaters to watch, in an effort to save money and time. I get tips from friends, such as Sharon (a former film teacher) and from checking the star ratings of Roger Ebert and other critics.

I rarely read reviews before I go to see a film. I just stick with quickly looking at the star ratings. I prefer not to see film trailers either, but those are harder to avoid. My goal is to know just the least information possible about a movie but expecting that I will be seeing a high caliber film. I want the movie to tell me a story without me knowing what is coming. With the advice of friends and my own research, I typically do see most of the award nominees for Best Picture before the awards ceremonies. This is true for both the Golden Globes and the Oscars.

With the Golden Globes, the only Best Motion Picture, Drama that I had not seen is Revolutionary Road. I expect to see that one soon, perhaps this weekend. I also want to see The Wrestler, but I think I may be content to see that on the premium channels. I was actually surprised that I had seen three of the five nominated films for Best Motion Picture, Comedy since I rarely go to the theaters to see comedies or musicals. My sense of humor is either not what it once was or many comedies these days are just silly and adolescent. Perhaps both are true.

However, this time I had seen the Comedy winner, Vicky Cristina Barcelona. It is one of Woody Allen's finest comedies. Very quirky and funny. Don't miss it. I also had seen Slumdog Millionaire, which won in the Drama category. My review is on this blog. This is a well-deserved honor for a film that needs wider public attention.

Kate Winslet's wins as Best Actress, Drama and Best Supporting Actress should tell you how far her talent has risen over the past few years. I was personally blown away by her performance in The Reader. I look forward to seeing her in Revolutionary Road.

My personal favorite for Best Actor, Drama was Sean Penn, who I thought gave the best performance of his life in Milk. In the previews I've seen of Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler, I certainly won't miss seeing his winning performance.

Well I could wax on about each and every movie, film nut that I am, but I will stop for now, and list the major category winners for you, in case you weren't watching last night or missed the news today. Just don't miss these fine films.

View all Winners of the Golden Globe Awards
Click here for photos
Click here for videos

Best Motion Picture - Drama
Slumdog Millionaire
Learn more


Best Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Learn more


Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Mickey Rourke
Wrestler, The
Learn more


Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Kate Winslet
Revolutionary Road
Learn more


Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Sally Hawkins
Happy-Go-Lucky
Learn more


Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy
Colin Farrell
In Bruges
Learn more

[goldenglobes.org]

Add to Mixx!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Campbell's Soup Takes Stand Against Hate

Little Town Beseeches Obama’s Health Chief